7. The field – The complete list of the 144 top ranked golfers will all be in the field this week which sets up for the hardest field all season long. This has been a weird tournament with an inconsistent history for tour players, even the top players in the world. It could quite possibly be the hardest tournament to win on tour and with 144 players all set to be there it is absolutely must-see TV.
6. Pairings – This week with all the top guys in the field the Thursday/Friday Pairings are set.
Webb, Reed, Tiger
Rickie, Brooks, Jordan
JT, JR, X
Rahm, DJ, Serg
So for an average fan, this is a tournament where you will get to watch every superstar out there and see some amazing tough golf played.
5. Tiger’s Health – With Tiger back in the field we will finally get to see how he reacts to hard swings and thick rough. Everyone will surely see his first few swings and Golf Channel will be full on detective mode watching every swing thoroughly and annoyingly. You will most definitely hear Brandel say that “Tiger is done”.
4. Can Rory win? – Rory is absolutely no question the most consistent golfer in the world right now finishing no worse than 6th all season long but can he win? This guy has not made a single move on a Sunday front 9 all season long and he is beginning to look more like Jim Furyk than the Rory that we once knew. In all reality this guy could easily turn it on this week, from 2013-16 he did not finish worse than 12th here which is incredible when you look at most guys histories but he needs to win. With Rory we expect dominance and when he finds a way to win again I am scared for everyone on tour. It is up to him.
3. The closing stretch – This course has easily one of the best closing stretches of the entire year. The holes are tough but gettable and you need to make shots to win this tournament in the closing stretch. 16, a fierce par 5 with water all along the right-hand side, making it a risk/reward hole. The infamous par 3 island 17th hole, it can be just a wedge but with water everywhere it taunts the eye when you’re looking to close out a tournament. Last, the par 4 long 18th with water all along the left side, this hole gets overlooked but it is a scary, tough hole to finish a tournament out. The drama that can happen on this course is what you want and need as a fan so that you can appreciate not only the great shots but the emotions these golfers can control at the moment.
2. Who is #1? – It is here! The best in the world will be finally all battling for that beautiful trophy and each guy out here trying to prove they are the top dog. I said it last week, we really do not know who is the best and this may show us this week if some of the top guys get into contention and battle one another.
- Golf’s Fifth Major – Just watch a minute of golf this week you will hear all about this. At The Amateur Hour, we don’t have time for this nonsense.